Perched on the cliff edge in Plaka, the main town on the Greek island of Milos, this 19th century house has been carefully restored to provide a London-based family with an authentically traditional yet practical summer retreat.
Originally built in 1813, the house is effectively a 200-year-old stone organism. Unlike more recent building styles, it is not made up of separate elements, almost every part has been constructed in stone. We were keen to respect this organism, leaving the 60cm thick walls untouched and performing a very precise and deliberate surgery on the building with minimal intervention. We removed more recent structural additions to revive the original intention of the design and all new elements have been constructed with traditional techniques using locally sourced materials. Restricted access due to the narrow streets within Plaka meant that these materials had to be carried by hand from the nearest road up through the village to the house.